BioMech Lab™ uses motion as a functional biomarker to quantify relevant aspects of physical, surgical, pharmaco and cognitive therapies
Responding to growing demand for clinically actionable, quantifiable data to both guide and demonstrate the efficacy of treatment decisions, BioMech Health, a division of BioMech Holdings, LLC, has launched BioMech Lab™ to arm clinicians with the ability to capture – in real-time – the relevant motion metrics necessary to rapidly evaluate, design and monitor physical, surgical, pharmaco and cognitive therapies. Coupling advanced sensor technology with powerful artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) algorithms and interactive biofeedback, BioMech Lab captures motion data in clinical or real-world settings to deliver precise, accurate and reproducible assessments and treatment modifications that stratify risk and improve care outcomes.
“Functional motion is a powerful measure of health and includes such fundamental aspects as balance, symmetry, range of motion, voluntary motor responses to stimuli and complex movements like gait,” said BioMech Co-Founder Frank Fornari, Ph.D. “With BioMech Lab, clinicians can fully and accurately assess these critical aspects of motion, design treatments and monitor and report outcomes for numerous standard tests and clinical conditions – meaning virtually any clinical specialty can now perform medically necessary tests at the appropriate frequency as part of a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan.”
BioMech Lab is applicable to multiple specialties. With secure and immediate access via mobile devices and/or a user-friendly web interface, it improves treatment outcomes by:
- Noninvasively capturing normal and pathological motion
- Longitudinally assessing progress and, when necessary, modifying treatment
- Enabling evidence-based clinician-patient interaction and engagement
- Providing secure, anytime-anywhere cloud-based access to patient metrics and reports in a HIPAA-compliant Laboratory Information System
“BioMech Lab has been a transformative addition to our clinic’s treatment of traumatically injured patients, all of whom have realized significant improvements, typically with the first session,” said L.D. Empting, M.D., Director, Independent Neurodiagnostic Clinic, noting that BioMech Lab lets them objectively assess and mitigate fall risk and quantitatively monitor for medication effects and side effects. “BioMech Lab in our ‘nonPT’ clinic gives us real-time, data-driven, functional restoration. We are improving patient outcomes and doing so in a fashion that allows clinicians and insurance carriers alike to monitor rates of improvement and functionality.”
Patented sensor technology ensures capture of the quality data required for BioMech’s powerful AI/ML algorithms to truly “learn” how to properly transform a patient’s motion patterns, including:
- Gait metrics such as timing, impact, truncal deviation, and gait cycle
- Trajectory, timeline, and pattern of balance events in three dimensions, including deviation, recovery, and timeline
- Valuated total movement as measured by the degree of symmetry between two sensors
- Range of motion in sagittal, frontal, and transverse planes autonomously, including joint, ground, initial and max/min/last metrics
- Simple Reaction Test (SRT), Choice Reaction Test (CRT), and Discrimination Reaction Test (DRT) to derive cognition metrics including latency and correctness.
“Powered by our proprietary AI/ML engine, BioMech Lab is the perfect demonstration of ‘motion with meaning’,” said Fornari. “It is the only AI-driven clinical device capable of capturing the real-time, comprehensive, and quality data necessary to drive diagnostics and therapeutics and deliver the long-term efficacy outcomes payers require for appropriate reimbursement.”