Provider, Life Sciences, Biotech, IT and Financial Industry Leaders Rank and Reveal Top Trends Advancing and Impacting Selling and Growth Initiatives in the Healthcare Arena
Definitive Healthcare, the leading provider of data, intelligence, and analytics on the healthcare provider market, today released results from its 2019 Healthcare Trends Survey. In this survey, Definitive Healthcare polled over 1,000 healthcare leaders across the provider, biotech, financial services, staffing, life sciences, IT, and consulting verticals to determine which trends they felt were most important, heading into 2019.
- Industry Consolidation – By a landslide (288 votes, 25.2%), the rapidly-consolidating healthcare landscape was revealed to be the most important trend this year for healthcare professionals. In 2018, Definitive Healthcare tracked an astonishing 803 mergers and acquisitions (M&As) and 858 affiliation and partnership announcements, and this trend is expected to accelerate into 2019.
- Consumerism – In second place, consumerism earned 14.4% (164 votes) of the votes. These days, patients are transforming into consumers who seek lower costs and convenience from their care providers; providers will have to work harder than ever to find and retain their patient populations.
- Telehealth – Next, with 158 votes (13.8%), the survey revealed telehealth to be the third most important healthcare trend in 2019. According to Definitive Healthcare’s 2017 INPATIENT TELEMEDICINE STUDY, over 70% of consumers would rather use video than visit their primary care provider in person.
- AI & Machine Learning (with 128 votes, 11.2%), Staffing Shortages (with 127 votes, 11.1%),
- Cybersecurity (with 108 votes, 9.5%), and EHR Optimization & Ancillary Technologies (with 108 votes, 9.5%) fell to the middle of the pack, with less than 12% of the votes each.
- Wearables – Although the wearable market is projected to reach $12.1B by 2021 and the remote monitoring market is projected to grow to $31.3B by 2023 – almost double where it is today – this trend was ranked least important by respondents with only 61 votes (5.3%).
“It’s no surprise that industry consolidation is top-of-mind for healthcare professionals. As the industry continues to evolve and shift, and health systems and IDNs increase in complexity, all participants in the industry need to stay abreast of what’s happening in order to make the best strategic decisions for their businesses,” said Jason Krantz, CEO of Definitive Healthcare. “At Definitive Healthcare, we help our 2,200+ clients track the ever-changing consolidation landscape, with up-to-date hospital affiliation and association information available on our WEBSITE and updated daily on our platform.”
Currently, Definitive Healthcare serves 9 out of the top 10 pharmaceutical companies, 9 out of the top 10 healthcare information technology firms, and 9 out of the top 10 medical device companies. In January 2019, Definitive Healthcare announced the ACQUISITION OF HIMSS ANALYTICS’ DATA SERVICES, further expanding its provider IT install and purchasing insights.